The New Haven Youth Organ Study Scholarship 2018-2019
The New Haven Chapter of the American Guild of Organists (AGO) strongly encourages and supports young people in learning to play the pipe organ. Succession planning is an important part of any profession and being an organist and church musician is no exception. We are seeking music students, ages 10 to 16, who are interested in studying with a qualified local organist. Scholarships will be given in an amount sufficient to pay for 10 hour-long organ lessons. More frequent, shorter lessons can be arranged if this is amenable to the teacher and scholarship recipient. Scholarship recipients will take part in a short recital at the end of the year of study. Scholarships will be awarded after the the Chapter has reviewed the applications and auditions of all scholarship applicants.
- Applicants should be between the ages of 10 and 16 as of September 1, 2018 and have had at least two years of piano/keyboard study. We expect applicants to be able to read music with reasonable fluency and play the keyboard equally well with both hands.
- Applicants may not be high school seniors at the time of application.
- Scholarships are intended for study in New Haven County.
- Applications are due on September 30, 2018 along with a written recommendation by a music teacher.
- In-person auditions will be required, and these will be scheduled after review of all applications received.
- All questions should be directed to Jay Lindsay, Education Coordinator of the New Haven AGO Chapter. He can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to download the application form!